These gorgeously vibrant skewers can be passed around as appetizers or served as a main course with some rice and vegetables. The punchy citrus flavor and the bold colors just scream SUMMER!
You can use fresh or canned mandarin segments, or substitute pineapple chunks if you prefer.
- 2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Havana Mojo marinade – Marinade Express
- 3 cups water
- fresh or canned fruit segments (mandarin or pineapple)
- green onions (mince and use the green tops only)
- zest of 1 orange
- oil – for grill grates
- 1 cup sugar free orange marmalade
- 4 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 large pinches red pepper flakes
- Empty the contents of the Havana Mojo packet into the drum of the Marinade Express. Add the 3 cups of water and whisk to combine. Insert flavor ribs into the drum and divide the shrimp equally into the sides of the drum.
- Screw the top of the drum on and insert the hose into the nozzle on the lid. Vacuum until the needle is in the green area of the pressure gauge. Stop the vacuum, lower the nozzle, then remove the hose. Place the drum onto the Marinade Express, then tumble for 5 minutes. Drain the shrimp well, then cover and place in the refrigerator to chill. Can be made ahead earlier in the day.
To Make Skewers
- Preheat your grill to direct high heat.
- Thread shrimp and fruit segments, alternately, onto the skewers. If using wood skewers, make sure to soak them in water ahead of time so they won’t catch on fire while on the grill. Season each skewer lightly with salt and pepper. Set all of the prepare skewers aside while you make the glaze.
For the Glaze
- Combine 1 cup sugar free marmalade, 4 tablespoons rice vinegar, and 2 pinches of red pepper flakes in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat until the mixture reduces a little and becomes slightly thicker. (about 5 minutes) Remove from heat and set aside.
- Brush the grill grate lightly with oil. Set your skewers on the grill and cook each side for approximately 2 minutes, until the shrimp are pink and cooked through. Brush each side with glaze liberally as you turn.
- Remove the skewers from the grill and sprinkle with the orange zest and minced green onion tops.