Do you have any guests staying at your house during the holiday season? Don’t stress about what to make for breakfast. This cheesy bacon breakfast casserole is the perfect make-ahead breakfast for you to pull out the day you need it and reheat it in the oven. Or reheat individual servings of it in the microwave as needed.
I first wrote about this recipe in September, read here, as a great recipe to make for busy mornings but it will serve as a wonderful holiday breakfast for guests.
What is your favorite breakfast to make for the holiday season?
Adapted from: Allrecipes.com
Cook time: 55 minutes
1 MX Marinade packet, unflavored
4-5 pieces of bacon
1 sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt & pepper
1 ½ cups frozen corn
1 red bell pepper, diced
4 cups frozen diced hash browns
9 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 ½ cups small curd cottage cheese
1 ¼ cups shredded Swiss cheese (I used mozzarella because that’s what I had on hand; either is delicious)
green onions sliced, garnish (if desired)
1) Prep the bacon in the Marinade Express with the unflavored MX packet for 5-8 minutes. Be impressed, or grossed out, as you notice a layer of fat cling to the walls of the Marinade Express drum. Remove the bacon and discard the marinade solution.
2) Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of grape seed oil, dump in frozen hash browns. Cook, stirring occasionally, until warmed and partially crispy, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the hash browns to a large bowl.
3) In the same skillet heat a tablespoon of grape seed oil. Add bacon slices. Cook until crisp, about 5 minutes on each side. Drain the bacon on a plate lined with paper towels; pat to remove the grease.
4) Drain most of the bacon grease from the skillet. Add the diced onion and garlic. Season with salt and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the frozen corn, cook until corn is warmed thoroughly. Remove from heat.
5) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
6) Dice the cooked bacon.
7) In the large bowl with the hash browns add the onion and corn, red pepper, cottage cheese, Swiss cheese, cheddar cheese, whisked eggs, and diced bacon. Stir to combine.
8) Pour evenly into greased baking dish. Bake until eggs are set and cheese is melted, about 45 to 50 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
9) If you are making this ahead, allow the casserole to cool completely and then cut into squares and put in containers to store in the fridge for easy and fast reheating in the morning. Garnish with sliced green onion if desired.